How to Set-up an Email Account
Setting up a free email account is pretty quick and easy. There are variety of free email service providers and you can choose whichever one you want. If you're not sure which one to choose, you can read reviews of these top email providers. Or, you can view the instructions below for setting up email accounts through two of the most common providers (Google and Yahoo!)*.
Setting up a Gmail Account (Google Email)
- Go to http://mail.google.com to open your new Gmail account. Click the "Create an Account" link.
- On the Create an Account page, start by filling in the following information:
- First name
- Last name
- Desired login name (be sure to click on the check availability box to ensure you get the login name you want)
- Select an 8 character minimum password.
- Enter a security question from the drop down menu. Try to choose one that would not be easy for someone else to answer.
- Type in the answer to your security question.
- Select your Country location from the drop-down menu.
- Type in the characters that you see for the word verification.
- Review the Google Terms of Service. If you accept the terms, click on the "I accept. Create my account" button.
Setting up a Yahoo! Email Account
- Go to the Yahoo Mail home page.
- Click on the "Sign Up" link that appears near the top of the page.
- Enter your name and other requested information in the fields provided.
- Create a username that you will be comfortable using for a long time and will identify you to your email recipients. Remember that you can use numbers and letters.
- Type the username you choose in the field provided. Check the availability of your username by clicking the box below that reads 'Check Availability of This ID.' You may have to think of an alternative username if your top choice is already taken by another Yahoo user.
- Choose a password when you have successfully entered a unique username. Passwords must be at least 6 characters long and keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive. You will be asked to type your password twice to ensure accuracy.
- Select a question from the drop-down menu as your security question. Yahoo will ask you this question if you should forget your password in the future, in order to verify that you are the correct user.
- Type in your answer to the question in the field below.
- Enter your birth date, zip code and any other requested information in the fields provided.
- Verify your registration by typing the characters you see shown in the last section of the registration page into the field provided.
- Read the Terms of Service.
- Select 'I Agree.' You have successfully set up your Yahoo email account.
*We are not affiliated with or endorse the email service providers listed here. We are providing you with information about various options to help you get an email account set up. The email service provider you select is your choice.