Financial Professional Login Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
As of December 1, 2012
- General Questions
- Username & Password Questions
- Security Question & Answer Questions
- Login Image & Phrase Questions
- Security & Privacy Questions
Q. Why is the Principal Financial Group® enhancing online security?
A. The Principal takes our responsibility to protect customer data and account information very seriously – using proven technology and best practices to safeguard information and privacy for financial professionals and their clients.
This enhancement will:
- Strengthen our ability to detect and prevent online fraud
- Provide additional self-service capabilities to financial professionals
- Streamline how we set up and manage online security for new financial professionals
- Make it easier to deliver future security enhancements as cyber-criminal activity evolves
Q. How will I know which username and password are required when I see a Principal login screen?
A. Every time you log in to the websites of The Principal, please note which login type is required. Just as it is today:
- If financial professional login information is required, the login page will state, “Advisor/Financial Professional Login”
- If personal, employer, provider or consolidated personal/employer/provider login information is required, the login page will reflect the login type selected (“Personal Login” is an example)
- If network or LAN login information is required, the page will state, “Corporate Login” and “Use Your Network Login” If you have a corporate login but do not know it, call 1.800.554.3395 for help.
Q. How can I keep track of my login information?
A. While our goal is to balance convenience with security, it was determined that financial professionals must continue to have a distinct online identity that is not consolidated with a personal or other account. This helps to better protect you and your clients from identity theft and financial fraud. It is OK to write down your login information and/or hints about your security questions as long as you store them in a safe place that only you can access. Never carry your login information with your personal identification (such as in your wallet) or share it with others.
Q. Can I change my password online?
A. Yes, you can change your password online. Login to Principal eFP. Once logged in, click "My profile" at the top, then click "Change Password."
Q. What if I forget my username?
A. Access the Principal eFP login. Use the forgot your username link and follow the prompts to retrieve your username.
Q. What if I forget my password?
A. Access the Principal eFP login. Enter your username and click "Continue." Use the forgot your password link and follow the prompts to obtain a new password.
Q. Can I change my username online?
A. No, you can't change your username online.
Q. What are security questions and answers?
A. Security questions and answers are another security feature. If you forget your password, or choose to change your password, we will verify your identity by asking you to answer your security questions and answers. When you establish your own username and password, we'll also ask you to select and answer your security questions. As with your password, it is your responsibility to keep your security questions and answers confidential.
Q. How do I change my security questions and answers?
A. To change your security questions and answers online: Login to Principal eFP. Once logged in, click "My profile" at the top, then click "Change Security Questions and Answers."
Q. When will I be using the security questions?
A. We will ask you to correctly answer your security questions when using some of our online features (such as forgot password or forgot username) as a way to verify your identity prior to providing you your forgotten password or username.
In the future, we may also ask you to answer a security question if we notice unusual activity when you log in to your account; something that might indicate an unauthorized user is trying to log in. For example, if we notice a log in attempt in Iowa at noon, and just a few minutes later a log in attempt in Japan that would indicate unusual activity.
Q. What is the purpose of this new login image and phrase?
A. We continue to upgrade and enhance our security systems to combat evolving online risks. The new login image and phrase is a secret between you and the Principal Financial Group website. Each time you log in to your account and see your login image and phrase, it helps ensure you are at The Principal website and not a fake website that is set up to look like our site (otherwise known as a phishing website).
A login image and phrase combination is an increasingly common technology used by many financial firms to help protect account information.
Q. Can I pick my own phrase?
A. The phrase that goes with the picture is randomly generated to make it much more difficult for criminals to attempt to steal information. Allowing people to pick their own phrase makes it more likely that people will pick something that could be tied back to their personal information. Things like a birthday or anniversary, which are easier for a criminal to guess about someone.
Q. What is phishing?
A. Phishing is the criminally fraudulent process of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity or website in an electronic communication.
Q. What do I do if I don’t think that is my picture/phrase?
A. First, verify that you are in fact on our website and that the web address (otherwise known as URL) you entered is correct. Sometimes simple items such as a misspelled word (ie Principel vs Principal) can direct you to an incorrect site. Second, verify that you have in fact entered the correct username. You can verify this as the username will display as you entered it above the image, phrase and password box. If both the site and the username are accurate then users should call immediately. We will follow our standard procedures for reporting fraudulent activity and/or account breaches.
Please note that if you also have a personal, employer, provider or consolidated personal/employer/provider login, you will have a separate login image and phrase for that login type.
Q. I have a login image and phrase for another login type on Principal.com – is this one different?
A. Yes. You will continue to have a financial professional login that is distinct from your personal, employer, provider or consolidated personal/employer/provider login.
Q. How can I change my login image and phrase?
A. You can log in to change your login image and phrase. Access the Principal eFP login. Once logged in, click "My Profile," then "Change Login Image and Phrase."
Q. Is my information secure?
A. The information for the accounts you have with the Principal Financial Group is kept secure and confidential through multiple security features and procedures.
- The information you request from our website for your financial professional account can only be accessed with a unique combination of a username and password. It is your responsibility to keep your login information confidential.
- Do not share your username, password or employer access code with anyone. Our employees and associates will never ask you for your password.
- Never keep your password or security questions/answers where others may see.
- Contact us immediately to [change your password] if you suspect someone has discovered it.
- Information you submit through our website, as well as the information we send back to you while you are visiting our website, is protected while passing through the Internet using strong encryption ("scrambling" to make it incomprehensible) when necessary.
- Our secure server software encrypts information, ensuring that Internet communications through our website stay private and protected.
- Your account information is not permanently stored on our Web server. The information only resides on our Web server while you are viewing the information. It is permanently stored on our secured corporate computer systems.
- Our corporate network systems, which store your account information, use proven security controls.
- We have data security staff whose sole responsibility is to ensure the security of the information we process and store.
- The Principal Financial Group has policies and procedures in place to limit access to your information to only those who have a business need to view it.
A. Please review our privacy and security policy.
Q. Do I need any special equipment to access this part of the site?
A. You will need an SSL-enabled browser to access this part of the site.
Q. Why do I need an SSL-enabled browser?
A. To ensure the security of your confidential account information, we use proven security software to encrypt the information before it is transmitted through the Internet. We only allow confidential information to be submitted for transmission if your browser is compatible with SSL, our security software. If your browser is not compatible, you will receive a message indicating your transaction can't be completed because of the security risk.